Sunday, February 1, 2009

Introducing Our Compassion Program

Sometimes a terminally ill or severely dog aggressive bull terrier lands at the shelter through no fault of its own. Do you have the emotional armor to volunteer a bit of time to ensure that such a dog enjoys his/her last hours or days before leaving this planet in loving arms? If so, please contact me for more details.

Modeled after BAD RAP's program, my catalyst and inspiration is a sweet little old and almost hairless unnamed boy who was picked up off the streets by a local Police Department and brought to the Animal Shelter. His eyes were in bad shape; one was badly ulcerated and needed to be removed but due to his severe mange, he likely wouldn't have survived the surgery. Despite his obvious pain and discomfort, he gave the kennel staff big wags and kisses when he was bathed. He wanted to be with people instead of being kenneled alone while waiting for the drugs that would release him permanently from his pain.

I felt compelled to help future bull terriers in this old boy's situation. Many times these dogs have been neglected/abused in their former homes. They are most deserving to be finally loved, albeit a very short time, before they leave this world. Please contact me if you can help make a difference for the dogs selected for this program. Donations to help fund this program would also be appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a concept! Utmost admiration for the "Compassion Program".

Just one small suggestion, if I may...
perhaps give a little warning about the graphic photo(s) shown, as you have done with "Dutch's" photo at 'available dogs'.

Blessings,
Kiska's Proud Momma

angelabbchua said...

This story drove me to tears. I wish there was more that I can do to help. I hope that some of the paintings I donate can generate some income to help this great cause... Suz, I will make as many as I can for you!

Bully kisses,
Angie

Anonymous said...

This was one of the saddest things I have ever seen....and being an ER nurse for years I have seen some pretty horrific sights. How does a dog get so ilL without someone stepping up. I dont agree that you should warn people about the graphic nature of these stories... This is what we are dealing with in some cases with Bully Terriers and as horrible as it is to witness it is the reality.

I am going to put my hearst and mind it to it and ask myself what I ( and my rescue Bully Brat Daisy ) can do... or do without to help these situations.

Thanks Suz.
Tina And Daisydoodles.